National Registry has developed the Food Safety Manager Certification Program to assess the knowledge and skills of entry-level food managers. National Registry uses recognized exam development practices to design certification exams that exceed industry expectations for clarity and accuracy.
National Registry offers its food safety manager exam in two formats.
- The Food Safety Manager Certification Examination (FSMCE) is accredited under exam standards set by the Conference of Food Protection (CFP).
- The International Certified Food Safety Manager (ICFSM) is jointly accredited under both the CFP standards and the ISO 17024 standard.
Both programs are accepted throughout the United States and meet regulatory requirements.
What You Need to Know
- You must successfully pass the examination to receive your certification
- You must submit a signed Examinee Consent Form and agree to the Code of Conduct to be eligible to sit for the certification
- Your certification is valid for a period of up to five years
- Different states and jurisdictions have different regulations regarding food manager certifications. View regulations and restrictions in your state.
- National Registry is an ANSI-Accredited Certificate Issuer – Accreditation #0656.
Before You Take the Exam
Here are some resources to help you be ready for the certification exam.
- Manager Examination Blueprint – see what types of questions will be on the exam
- Training Options – see the best ways to study for the exam
- Online Refresher Course – brush up on your knowledge before you retake the exam
- Examinee Information Booklet – download this booklet to gain a full understanding of the examination, the process, and examinee requirements
- Test Center Examinee Information Booklet (ICFSM) – this booklet is for the Pearson VUE testing center version of the exam, accredited against the ISO 17024 standard for international use as well as the Conference for Food Protection standard
- Special ADA Request Form – make a special request ahead of your exam date
Take the Exam
To take the food safety exam please choose from one of the options below.
Trainer Locator: National Registry makes available a network of trainers and Test Administrators/Proctors. The paper & pencil examination is available in the following languages: English, Spanish, Korean, and modern and traditional Chinese.
Take at a Pearson VUE Testing Center in your area. Pearson VUE is the gloabal leader in computer-based testing for professional testing programs around the world with over 14 million people using their testing centers each year. Pearson VUE provides the International Certified Food Safety Manager exam.
Take a Proctored Online Examination with an approved NRFSP Test Administrator/Proctor on any computer (not all Test Administrators/Proctors have this approval). Examinations available in English and Spanish.