Who needs to be certified?
At least one employee that has supervisory and management responsibility and the authority to direct
and control food preparation and service.
What types of establishments are covered?
Includes: Required, unless your type of establishment is in the “does not include” section.
Does not include:
- Limited Retail Food Establishments (includes Mobile pre-packaged)
- Grocery Stores without Deli, less than 15,001 sq. ft.
- Grocery Stores without deli, over 15,000 sq. ft.
- Some temporary event retail food establishments – if health agency determines they are
- Establishments in Denver, CO
Effective January 1, 2019.
National Registry Food Manager Certification Acceptance
National Registry Food Manager Certification, and/or any certificate program accredited by ANSI, under the
Conference for Food Protection Standards. Recertification every 5 years.
Link to New Regulation Language
In addition to food protection manager certification requirements, Colorado has updated their Food
Code. See the new regulations and the changes at https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cdphe/food-code-transition/documents-guidance.