Food Manager Certification Expiration: 3 years
Food Manager Certification Requirements: State Requirements – Certification
Food Handler Certificate Expiration: None specified
Food Handler Certificate Requirements: Voluntary
Rhode Island has updated their regulations related to food protection manager certification training and certification, effective October 31, 2017.
These are the main changes:
- Instead of the previously required 15 hours of training, only 8 classroom-training hours will be required.
- Managers will need to retake a certification exam every 3 years.
- The health department is no longer enforcing a 6-hour training course requirement prior to recertification. Managers may prepare for retaking the manager certification exam using study materials of their choice for any amount of time needed.
- There must be a Certified Manager on site during meal preparation and serving times.
- The final regulation clarifies the language that requires food establishments to have a written food safety plan.